Ring Flash-stravaganza!

I decided I wanted to build a ring flash, and Mike, Toby, and Dennis were interested too. So we all went over to Mike's one Saturday and spent a fun afternoon with power tools.

Saturday, April 26th, 2008

1: I got a 6-inch to 4-inch PVC conversion piece, and used that for the base of the flash. The dotted line is where the centre piece ends; I need to saw the PVC off at that point.

Medium
Large

2: Mike let me borrow his Nikon 105mm AF-S macro lens; in exchange, he tried out my Sigma 30mm f/1.4. Here, he is gazing sceptically at how the third-party, non-Nikon-branded lens looks on his D70s. :)

Medium
Large

3: Toby (through the 105mm)

Medium
Large

4: Toby's gas tank (through the 105mm)

Medium
Large

5: Toby's throttle assembly (through the 105mm)

Medium
Large

6: Dennis (through the 105mm)

Medium
Large

7: Toby's chain (through the 105mm)

Medium
Large

8: My first shot with my ring flash is of Mike trying out his ring flash. :)

Medium
Large

9: Toby, lit with ambient light and my new ring flash

Medium
Large

10: Another Toby test shot with the ring flash

Medium
Large

11: I wanted to see how uniform the illumination of the ring flash was, so I took it off the camera and balanced it on top of my Vivitar (on a light stand). Dennis kindly steadied it as I lined my shot up. (Answer: there's some falloff, but it's not bad at all!)

Medium
Large

12: Toby takes a close look at the ring flash

Medium
Large

13: Blinding Toby with the flash (with the shutter closed way down to kill the ambient light)

Medium
Large

14: I borrowed Mike's 105mm lens again, and took a series of photos of a dandelion in his front yard. The focal plane in this shot is right on the leading edge of the dandelion.

Medium
Large

15: Here, the focal plane is between the leading edge and the core.

Medium
Large

16: Pulled the focal plane back to the edge again.

Medium
Large

17: I think I like this one the best.

Medium
Large

18: Mike asked me to take a shot of his new knife.

Medium
Large

[back]

Generated with Perl and Lightbox